Re: Re: OT AIS membership (Join us!)

Bill Burleson wrote

...Our membership [AIS] has declined from about 12,000
in the 70's to below 6,000 now (both these numbers are
from memory but are close)...

...Would you consider a membership in Old South Iris
Society? We are AIS affiliated... Learn what Southern
hospitality really means. Join us!...

Bill Burleson

Wow! Those numbers are surprising (if not almost
sickening). What has happened in the world of irises
that the AIS has lost so many members? I can't imagine
that even the coldest finger-pointers could blame this
all on the leadership of the society. There must be
something else going on. Is it maybe, that other
plants and flowers have drawn people away? Or have
irises become too fussy about growing conditions, that
average folk won't bother? I'm just makin' guesses. I
really don't want to hear any more negative stuff, but
I'm curious if anyone has any ideas. Like maybe
highest membership coinciding with some highpoint of
the shift from diploid to tetraploid (or something
like that).
And thanks for asking. I would definitely like to join
OSIS. I'll send you my address off-forum and look
forward to the interaction (even if it's from afar).
Sounds like a great bunch of people. I hope to get to
meet some of you someday.
Take care, Tom
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!