Re: AIS: The truth is out there

Anner is absolutely right that the information such as membership numbers and financial records are out there. Many people simply do not know it is available, or in what detail it is available. Anner was most help when I requested the membership information several years ago and the editor was very open to publishing an article I proposed writing. I found the membership statistics very informative and drew some "conclusions" on my interpretation of the data. However, I opted not to submit my article at that time because I did not feel I was knowledgeable enough about the "big picture" of AIS since I was new to the society. Actually, I am glad I held off because as I learned more about different aspects of AIS , I was able to get a clearer picture and have since refined some of my first "conclusions."

Bobby Baxter

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] AIS: The truth is out there

For instance, as Bobby Baxter of North Carolina can attest, he requested and
received an official breakdown of AIS Membership Statistics directly from the
AIS Membership Secretary in July, 2002, to use in gathering his thoughts for a
proposed article for the Bulletin about his first year of AIS membership. I
still have that correspondence dated 7/12/02 in my archival files and I observe
the Editor was very supportive of his idea.

So I would agree that the truth about membership statistics *is* out there,
and I would add that it always has been.

Anner M. Whitehead
Richmond VA USA