Re: OT: AIS membership and lifestyle changes today

  • Subject: Re: [iris] OT: AIS membership and lifestyle changes today
  • From: "John Reeds" lamegardener@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:57:30 -0800
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:57:30 -0800

Patricia:

You aren't kidding about societal changes, or space limitataions.  With
single-family homes around here around $800,000 for starter homes, many peole
live in condos.  One of the most overpriced cities nearby is Irvine, with new
3000 square-foot homes typically built on 4000 square-foot lots.  I asked one
friend why he bought there; he said "because they have such great amenities
for the kids".  What?  Video-game parlours and fast-food outlets?  The first
thing you can give your kid is a back yard to play in!  How can anyone grow
iris when they have no yard?

It took me 6 months to find a house on a 15,400 square-foot lot, and that was
8 years ago.  Of course, if I want to grow anything, I need to buy the soil.
We have waterproof salty alkaline adobe clay.

John Reeds
San Juan Capistrano, California