Re: AIS: The truth is out there

On Jan 27, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC wrote:

1970's approximately 12,000 AIS members, 2005 approximately 6,000 AIS members.

These numbers really do not surprise me. People join plant societies because of a common interest in a particular plant. However, people stay with the society because of the people.

I could easily sit here for 5 minutes and list 20 different things that come to mind as to why AIS membership has been, and is, in decline. Then some people will tell me how bitter I am, and I destructive I am.

Not at all. In fact I would encourage you to do just that, and then offer your suggestions as to how to fix the problem. Codify that into an action plan and present it to the AIS Board. Nothing could be more beneficial.

I would suggest for AIS to send a "simple" questioner to the last 500-1,000 AIS members that did not renew their membership with the society. It should include questions like, "What is the main reason you did not renew your membership with AIS?" and "What do see as the biggest problem areas within the society that need attention?"

I would also send out another 500-1,000 questioners to current members asking them what their greatest concerns are within AIS and what areas they see as problematic.

Ok a questionnaire is one idea, next?