Re: Re: AIS: membership trends - more

Received my Recorder yesterday.

Jim Ennenga in Knoxville
----- Original Message ----- From: "Char Randall" <randall83641@velocitus.net>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: AIS: membership trends - more

Mr. Pries, I question your comments about TBIS and Anner's comment that "AIS
is not some pissant civic group meeting at the local Y and making up its own
rules as it goes along." I am not sure how helpful that attitude is toward
keeping or attracting AIS members. For me TBIS has been more garden friendly
and the publications great.

I was (may still be?) a member of RIS and ASI and currently TBIS. When I
asked where the AIS tall bearded section could be joined, there was
discussion whether a person could belong to a subsection? and not to AIS
itself? Some members felt that the AIS was the tall bearded section and was
in fact neglecting other societies etc etc etc. In the meantime I just kept
researching and reading everthing I could to learn about iris. I ordered
several publications some offered in the ASI pub or the Reblooming Iris
Recorder or a friends AIS bulletins. After two long distance calls to the
midwest (I think} I reached an AIS representative to place an order for
another book. She took my order cheerfully and condescendingly advised me to
rip out all those plain old garden iris and plant more of the wonderful new
named hybrids that even rebloom, join the AIS etc. etc. Spring was near...I
ordered several hundred dollars of "new named" varieties, began tearing up
older beds and anticipating the new book and new beauties. Well the next
month the credit card bill came and I was overcharged for the book and
shipping; it was not the advertised price. I did not waste another long
distance call, by then I had already paid more than I would have at a local
retailer. A few months later the new iris started arriving and I have been
fighting rot for years. I've since learned "rebloomers" sometimes only
rebloom occaissionally in much warmer areas. Some do rebloom here. As the
archives can show, the wonderful book has several questionable conclusions
and statements which some feel are downright wrong. Anyone can write a book.
I have found more wonderful cultural information and facts shared by people
on this list and from commercial sources than from subscriber organizations.
When I am charged for participation in a group I expect advertised returns
and some degree of accuracy. I am a consumer, I pay for the information or
publications whether by currency, dues or other exchange. When the AIS
failed to meet MY NEEDS I elected to discontinue that avenue in my quest to
grow nice perennial iris. This has been a long, slow learning experience and
no one is at fault for any of it. However, I do rigorously defend the right
of anyone to enjoy any and all iris aspects without AIS sponsorship, control
or input. Even after reading posts like yours and Anner's I have no personal
dislike of AIS or members or policies, it just simply is not something I am
inclined to use. I did try it, became mired down in the bureaucracy and
decided not to continue. Others do enjoy it, I have never suggested that
people not join AIS. However, it is not a requirement to buy, plant, show
off or share iris with friends.

BTW has anyone else just received their Fall 2004 Reblooming Iris Recorder?
I know it is a volunteer effort and recognize those who donate their time
and efforts. After quite a few years though, I need to decide if I want to
renew that subscription. Unfortunate timing.

one "real life" AIS experience
Sincerely, but not humbly
Char Randall
Melba, ID