Re: Re: AIS: membership trends - more

In a message dated 1/27/05 7:59:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
randall83641@velocitus.net writes:

<< Mr. Pries, I question your comments about TBIS and Anner's comment that
 is not some pissant civic group meeting at the local Y and making up its own
 rules as it goes along." I am not sure how helpful that attitude is toward
 keeping or attracting AIS members. For me TBIS has been more garden friendly
 and the publications great. >>

Anner speaking:

I did indeed say that "AIS is not some pissant civic group meeting at the
local Y and making up its rules as it goes along."

That statement is the plain truth. The word pissant, of course, simply means
*insignificant* It derives from pissmires, another word for ants, as in small

I employed this metaphor--for that is what it was, a descriptive figure of
speech-- intending to emphasize by contrast that AIS is, as I said, a large
national corporation of a kind which is subject to intense scrutiny by the
Government, a corporation which must abide by rules which in this case provide that
the membership and financial statistics of the AIS cannnot be kept secret, as
had earlier been intimated. I stand by that point. Does someone want to argue
that they really should be secret?

I made no comment nor uttered any metaphor about TBIS and have no opinion.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA