AIS Membership

From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC"
Sent: Jan 27, 2005 8:47 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] AIS: The truth is out there

1970's approximately 12,000 AIS members, 2005 approximately 6,000 AIS
members.

As I have been following this thread there was something that just didn't seem
right. A few minutes of research into my back issues of the Bulletin provided
the following data extracted from the annual "Statement of Ownership."

January 1974   Total Paid Circulation of Bulletins - - - - -4,380
January 1975   Total Paid , etc.                                   4,388
January 1976   Same                                                  4,371
Spring   1977   Same                                                  4,469
Winter   1978   Same                                                  4,530

I'm making the assumption (perhaps erroneously) that each paid up member
received a Bulletin. If my assumption is correct then the numbers given
indicate the number of members in the period which the Statement of Ownership
covers.

My providing these data are not, in any way, meant to be derogatory but only
to show that AIS membership over the last 40 + years (that I have been a
member) has hovered within the range of 4,500 +/- to 7,000 +/-. There would
have been "dancing in the streets" by the AIS Board if membership had ever
reached 12K.

Now I shall fold my tent and silently steal away back into lurkdom!

Dave Silverberg
Molalla, Oregon,USA, zone 7/8ish
HIPS Historian/Archivist/Treasurer

P.S.  Two pots of spuria seed (from my first spuria crosses) have begun
germinating and seedlings are about 1 inch high already.