Re: Re: AIS: membership trends - more

Mr. Burleson, speaking to this group on 1/23/05, here quoted in part.

The membership is rarely, if ever informed of pending issues until after the fact. AIS membership is kept secret.

Bill made a lot of comments in his message that Anner forwarded to the group. Things are always easier for me when they are broken down. So... in reference to Bill's comments regarding the membership of AIS being kept secret....

I belong to four different plant societies and AIS is the only society that does not publish a membership list for the general membership. If some members were to take a look on page 87 of issue #323 of the Iris Bulletin for July 2001, then they might just get the impression that the AIS membership is restricted in the way the Bill describes. The minutes from the Board of Director meeting in May 2001 say:

"...member of the AIS board of directors, Administrative officers of the AIS, Committee of the AIS (or their designate), Cooperating Societies of the AIS (or their designate), on their request and upon their certifying that the information will be used only for AIS business, be given an electronic copy of the AIS membership at no charge." This action was approved.

To date, I do not believe that the general membership may purchase a copy of this membership roster or any printed membership roster from the society simply for the purpose of having it.

I wholeheartedly agree that the designated people in the above motion have access to the membership list. It is a necessary tool for these people and should be readily accessible. I also favor having a membership list that the general membership is either given as part of their membership or to purchase separately.

I do not feel any one person's opinion is grounds for a policy change. However, if the questioner idea proposed earlier today revealed 300 of 1000 people having the same concern in a specific area then it would warrant review. Identifying and prioritizing areas to focus on is important. Does AIS have a long range planning committee? If not, then it would be a great way to utilize the RVP's that want to do more for the society.

Bobby Baxter