Re: Re: AIS: membership trends - more

I agree with Bill that secrecy and secret meetings are terrible for organizations. I also believe in published membership lists. Unfortunately enough members complained to AIS that they did not want to have there names on published lists that the practice was discontinued. I see many organizations accused of secret meetings but many times it turns out that they really werent secret but that an action was taken that someone didnt like and they had not bothered to show up for a meeting that had been announced earlier. I have seen many organizations including AIS do things that I didnt like, but I have also seen much criticism of AIS that was totally unfounded. Much of it has to do with not making enough effort. Since all these things occur among volunteer groups, people often find it easier to complain than to do the work to change what they dont like. I think a number of criticisms levied in this forum have been shown to be inaccurate. One of the reasons I have goaded on this
 discussion is that as information is delivered by responses we can all appreciate how hard it is for any group to function, and maybe we need to cut a little slack for those in charge. Or if we see a problem, we have to ask ourselves do we have our information straight and do we care enough to try to change it or are we just complaining.