Re: Re: AIS: membership trends - more

Kitty: I read your post carefully and have no reason to disagree with anything you have said. I would love to see all the sections have as fine a publication as Tall Talk. I hope your sentiments can prevail as a new board member. I just was voicing my personal opinion that I believe contrary to the sentiments of most members of TBIS and AIS that a few people have not wished for TBIS to be a section and that those few have thwarted the possibilities. If they become one then I suppose I will be proven wrong. I would love to see the two groups working together. As a section nothing much would really change except maybe my perception of certain attitudes.

It is interesting that we all have misconceptions. I was talking with a local member and they told me they saw in the AIS Bulletin that membership lists were available from AIS and that there is a box that people can check to have their name restricted from the list. Sometimes our good ideas are already done and we just have to read our Bulletin to discover what is really going on.

loberg@adelphia.net wrote:
"For me TBIS has been more garden friendly and the publications great. Char
Randall"

I too believe Tall Talk has been a remarkable publication. The size and font
is easy to read, the color in every issue is wonderful, and many articles have
been enjoyable.

"I think there were legitimate concerns that many people shared about AIS that
were used by the TBIS officers to further their own agendas." Robt R Pries

I'm not at all sure what agenda you believe that to be. TBIS has been working
hard to build and improve their publication Tall Talk, which I believe is
their main mission, and they appear to be successful with it. I wouldn't want
to lose it, as it gets better all the time.

"But I do not believe from my personal observation that some of the TBIS
officers had the best interest of AIS at heart, and really were out to create
a competitive, not cooperative society. So far I have seen nothing that
dispels this notion. Robt R Pries"

Bob, I do not know what evidence you have that TBIS was "really out to create
a competitive society". I've reviewed numerous minutes of TBIS, talked with a
number of current officers and past officers of TBIS and can find NOTHING
which gives evidence that they were trying to duplicate many of the functions
AIS does. The emphasis of TBIS has been to publish a bulletin to meet the
needs of the their bulletin's readers. If you go to a magazine stand and look
for Sports-minded magazines, how many do you see? Quite a few. My point,
having several selections of high quality magazines on irises GIVES readers
more to read and enjoy, not less. Additionally, just for the record, in the
bylaws of TBIS, it is explicitly stated in the article on Purpose, "and to
encourage membership in this organization and the American Iris Society (AIS)
and to cooperate with AIS to establish standards for classification and
judging of tall bearded iris and to cooperate with AIS at its national,
regional and local level societies."

Tall Talk prints, at NO COST to AIS, an advertisement to join the American
Iris Society.

To give examples of what articles have been in Tall Talk, the Spring 2004
issue had articles by Barry Blyth of Australia on Bicolours and Amoenas; by
Clive Russell of the United Kingdom; by Sergey Loktev of Russia; and by Jack
Worel of Minnesota on fighting the Iris Borer. These were just a few of the
many fine articles in the one issue. If you haven't been getting this
bulletin/magazine, I highly recommend that you do!

"Most individuals appreciative the wonderful Tall Talk which is subsidized by
an individual."

I haven't yet found evidence in treasurer's reports that the publishing bill
was in part paid for by an individual. However, it certainly is possible that
a number of people are contributing their VOLUNTEER time to help with the
efforts to meet the goals of TBIS, and that includes voluntarily sharing
information on how to do things cost effectively. I think this is identical to
the many volunteers who contribute their efforts to AIS or other iris groups.
I can see no difference.

"If AIS would have had that type of resource I am sure they could have done
equally as well. Much of the problems were not addressed in a fashion that
would have worked to improve AIS but more in a belligerent way that was meant
to aggravate the relationship. I believe most people on both sides would like
to see these two groups working together for a common good. But it is my
personal belief that some in control of TBIS do not wish that to happen. I do
not know that much about details, I only know my own observations. Perhaps I
am entirely off base. But I would ask then, what has prevented TBIS from being
a section? AIS has relaxed every rule there is about sections, such that there
are practically no requirements except a desire to cooperate. "

Bob, I do agree that there are some in control of TBIS who do not wish TBIS to
become a section. And there have been various issues in past years, in bylaws
of both organizations, which did not allow TBIS to be a section of AIS. I
believe, over time, Bylaws of both organizations have been changed to remove
some of the technical differences. For the record, at this time, I believe it
would be in the interests of both groups for TBIS to become a section, as I
believe the incorporated status of TBIS would remain the same as it is, and
would still be governed by it's own executive board. I also understand some
individuals in the AIS Board have been talking about having a new
catigorization to identify all sections, societies, or cooperating societies
under one umbrella. I think that would be great too.

As a brand new Director of TBIS, I understand the issue of "AIS and TBIS" has
been placed on the agenda for their spring meeting in St. Louis. I very much
want to represent the membership of TBIS, and would very much like to see
membership of TBIS come to this Spring meeting and express their views on this
issue in a positive manner. I believe two organizations working together can
accomplish more than two working separately. If any of you would like to email
me privately, please do, as any help or ideas will be very much appreciated.

Kitty Loberg
Region 14 Past RVP
2004 AIS Convention Treasurer
Region 14 Webmaster