Re: AIS membership

In a message dated 1/28/2005 10:05:59 AM Central Standard Time,
jpreilly@zianet.com writes:
I;m somewhat surprised at the number of comments about AIS not doing enough
for their members.  For $20/year you get four Bulletins, slide rental, and a
bookstore.  Our local Iris Club has a Iris Show and Iris Sale each year and
AIS pays for the insurance.  Our Region has a conference each September and
the Spring has a Judges Training Session.The nationals held each year are
cheap compared to the professional conferences that I attend.  Perhaps the
proper comment should be not what AIS can do for me, but what can I do for

Jim Reilly

Thanks Jim for your comments!  There was an article in the AIS Bulletin
January 2004, pg 34 (mine by the way) that lists the benefits of being an AIS
Affiliate member-

It is important that our club activities include educational, aesthetically
inspiring and socially satisfying activities for both AIS and non-AIS

What AIS does for the Regions and Affiliates b (not necessarily in order of
 a.  International Registry for all rhizomatous irises.
 b.  Sets Judges Training standards and credentials to ensure quality judging
in all Regions.
 c.  Established a National Awards system for all rhizomatous irises.
d.  Each affiliated society receives a free copy of the AIS Bulletin.
Therefore, each Affiliated Society has the opportunity to cast one vote for
Symposium on behalf of the affiliated society.  This gives an excellent
opportunity for the affiliated society to have a bPopularity Poll Partyb
cast a ballot agreed to by all affiliate members.
e. Each affiliated society receives one set of Free Adult medals and free
Youth medals for each accredited show sponsored by that Affiliate.
 f.  Each affiliated society receives one free set of AIS slides per year.
 g.  AIS liability insurance extends to Affiliatebs show venues, meetings
garden tours.
 h.  Affiliates can apply for subordinate society status under AIS which
grants tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status under the IRS Code.  Members of a 501(c)(3)
society may deduct contributions (rhizomes, etc.) to society auctions IF the
member itemizes deductions.
 i.  Affiliate Contest prizes to recognize outstanding efforts of individual
 j.  American Iris Society Web Page b www.irises.org  - with links to many
other Iris sites.
 k.  Youth Programs b National and Regional with awards, contests and
 l.  Information on publications available through the AIS Storefront of
great interest to iris gardeners, some of which are not available through
commercial sources.
 m.  Provides special discounts to affiliates on some publications.

Many of the above items enhance the ability of a local organization or
affiliate to easily take care of the bAdministrativeb chores and get to
the REAL
important items:  fun with the educational and social activities.

There are many "hobby" organizations that do many things for their members
(and I belong to some of them too!) but the bottom line is - it ought to be

 Rita Gormley
AIS Region 18 RVP and other stuff
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone 5