Re: Re: AIS: membership trends

From Jeanne Clay Plank, President of the AIS :

As far as AIS membership is concerned -- some interesting historical numbers are:
According to the October 1962 minutes of the AIS Board of Directors as published in the January 1963 issue of the AIS Bulletin (pg 105, para 4) the AIS membership total was 6427 members.
According to the November 1969 minutes of the AIS Board of Directors as published in the January 1970 issue of the AIS Bulletin (pg 56, para 7) the AIS membership total was 6904 members, up 94 from the previous years total of 6810 . According to the November 1970 minutes of the AIS Board of Directors as published in the January 1971 issue of the AIS Bulletin (pg 99, para 3), the AIS membership total was 6,092 members, down 813 previous years total of 6904.
AIS membership almost reached 9,000 (but didn't) in the late 1980s early 90's -- since then it has been in a soft down turn -- however -- that too, is not remarkable. If you look at the 75th Anniversary Bulletin issue you will find the membership numbers for most of the 25 years between the 50th and the 75th Anniversary -- all of the 70's, but not all of the 80's -- at one point in the 70's the AIS Membership was below 5,000, before it began to rise to that high I just mentioned of well over 8,000 !!!!
I tell you this so you will know where to go to refute the righteous misinformed who get on the "l."

John | "There be dragons here"