Hyb: Garbage seedlings?

I drug this over from iris-photos so more people can follow, I know
not everybody gets iris-photos.  The discussion is about
keeping "garbage" seedlings

I should keep them 2 years?

Oh my goodness, now I think I'm really scared.  I do not see me
keeping all of my seedlings for 2 years.  I'm crazy, but not that
crazy.   That would put me over 5000 this summer.  I know that there
are a lot of discards, but how do you decide what to trash?  I would
have thought that the better seedlings would usually get better as
well as their homely siblings  (though I've certainly heard of the
seedlings that look great and then are duds after that.)  I guess I
was thinking that keeping the best of the seedlings with interesting
patterns would be a reasonable approach.  Now I'm wondering if I will
be tossing the good ones just because they aren't happy the first
year.

When you do cull fist year seedlings what do some of you look for?

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

basking in balmy 30's in Jan

Support Care2 Email: 1,400 whales may be killed this year. Take action! http://www.care2.com/go/z/17954