HYB:Re-Selects

In a message dated 1/28/2005 8:45:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rshadlow@wildmail.com writes:

When you  do cull fist year seedlings what do some of you look  for?

I was ready to flex my fingers and say . . . narrow hafts, etc.,  etc., etc.
Then I remembered another story!  ;-)

Gilded Cream! ( 2 different pictures on Iris Photos for those that  don't
remember it ) These two pictures look a bit different.  The  domed standards and
deeper color are the way I saw it at Alvaton and the way it  looked in MS
(Bill's picture).  The paler version is what I saw in Memphis  (Robin's picture)
and how it blooms here in the new soil.

However, I saw it blooming at Rockytop Gardens one spring and I couldn't
believe it was the same iris.  I've never seen it look like that before or
since.  It looked . . . awful!  Small, tight blooms with hafts you  could drive a
truck through.  The only thing it had in common with the iris  I love each
spring was the clump of stalks!

Did I help any???

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: