Re: HYB: garbage vs reselects

Keep in mind your own hybridizing goals as you cull.  I ripped that
garbage out because it did seem to be weather sensitive, and there are
plenty of extremely beautiful cultivars from other regions available to
fill that requirement.  :-(

If you are after award winning or unique beauties, when the plant is at
its best, then by all means, keep them for more than one year!

I do much of my selection <after> bloom season, based on resistance to
leaf spot and general summer crud.  I find it much easier to rip the
plants out when they don't have flowers on them <g>

If/when I start breeding for specific colors or patterns or rebloom, I
might let something live (like that garbage baby) to see what potential
it has as a parent.   If they will produce viable pollen, I am currently
using award winning cultivars that produce blooms that look that bad
here due to weather.  I have a bunch of seedlings this winter from
pollen from a totally wretched looking stalk of TEAMWORK, one foot tall
stalk, three mangled blooms, but all with viable pollen.  One cross, the
seedlings are keeling over almost as fast as they come up, but the other
cross looks pretty strong.

Well, that doesn't really answer <any> of your questions!

< I wonder how many seedlings can go the
                   other way as they mature?  Might an exquisite first
year stalk with lots of buds ever
                   after fail to reach its first excellence?  I wish I
had room to let all of them bloom two
                   years.  Perhaps I should just separate out those I
think are superior, plant them in
                   a separate bed and let the rest try again.  A few of
my selected seedlings are
                   growing like wild fire right now.  Im eager to see
them bloom and a little nervous.
                   Will they be as pretty this time?    Francelle
Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8