From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Robt R
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:41 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: AIS: membership trends - more

Char; I do not think you understood my post about TBIS. I am sure that most
of the people who are members are also members of AIS. I believe that most
of those members would like to see both groups prosper. I think there were
legitimate concerns that many people shared about AIS that were used by the
TBIS officers to further their own agendas. But I do not believe from my
personal observation that some of the TBIS officers had the best interest of
AIS at heart, and really were out to create a competitive, not cooperative
society. So far I have seen nothing that dispels this notion. Most
individuals appreciative the wonderful Tall Talk which is subsidized by an
individual. If AIS would have had that type of resource I am sure they could
have done equally as well. Much of the problems were not addressed in a
fashion that would have worked to improve AIS but more in a belligerent way
that was meant to aggravate the relationship. I believe most people on both
sides would like to!
 these two groups working together for a common good. But it is my personal
belief that some in control of TBIS do not wish that to happen. I do not
know that much about details, I only know my own observations. Perhaps I am
entirely off base. But I would ask then, what has prevented TBIS from being
a section?. AIS has relaxed every rule there is about sections, such that
there are practically no requirements except a desire to cooperate.

ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:In a message dated 1/27/05 7:59:33 PM Eastern
Standard Time,
randall83641@velocitus.net writes:

<< Mr. Pries, I question your comments about TBIS and Anner's comment that
is not some pissant civic group meeting at the local Y and making up its own
rules as it goes along." I am not sure how helpful that attitude is toward
keeping or attracting AIS members. For me TBIS has been more garden friendly
and the publications great. >>

Anner speaking:

I did indeed say that "AIS is not some pissant civic group meeting at the
local Y and making up its rules as it goes along."

That statement is the plain truth. The word pissant, of course, simply means

*insignificant* It derives from pissmires, another word for ants, as in

I employed this metaphor--for that is what it was, a descriptive figure of
speech-- intending to emphasize by contrast that AIS is, as I said, a large
national corporation of a kind which is subject to intense scrutiny by the
Government, a corporation which must abide by rules which in this case
provide that
the membership and financial statistics of the AIS cannnot be kept secret,
had earlier been intimated. I stand by that point. Does someone want to
that they really should be secret?

I made no comment nor uttered any metaphor about TBIS and have no opinion.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA