Re: HYB Goals

What a good thread!  Thank you for opening up this one, Betty!

I have three goals--in order of priority they are:

1) My "Patience" project.  Bill Schortman's PATIENCE was a uniquely beautiful
iris with a magenta color and satiny sheen that I loved.  There's never been
another like it, so I'm looking at how to approach the possibility of
recreating "Patience" in modern dress.

PATIENCE itself came from Snow Flurry crossed with the red blend INSPIRATION,
resulting, I think in a smoothly applied cream and medium-light warm violet
together.  Snow Flurry's diploid papa was THAIS, one of the "pallida pinks."
That "pink" pigment undoubtedly contributed to the color expressed in

That is a combination not quickly available to us today.  So I gave some
thought to how I would start.  I had already made the cross of the superb
Schreiner orchid SWINGTOWN with the omnipotential ROMANTIC EVENING, and when
the seedlings bloomed I realized I was on my way.  They were definitely warm
purples to warm violets or rose tones that I knew was one place to start.

The crosses with the two best from the original cross with Keppel's siblings
VIENNA WALTZ and HAPPENSTANCE in the hope of combining light cream tones,
smoothly applied and warm violet anthocyanins.

In the hope of capturing some Snow Flurry-like quality in texture and
potential I also made crosses both ways with FOGBOUND.  This variety is
proving to be an astoundingly good parent, with few faults and many
assets--and the qualities I'd hoped for.  Some of the seedlings have been
astonishingly beautiful.

I bought a number of current introductions and ones that had caught peoples'
eyes, such as Innerst's BRAZENBERRY.  I am trying the latter out, but the
flower doesn't please me as much as the branching does--it is superb.

My second generation seedlings have shown jumps radically forward--all three
of the Keppel irises giving some wonderful seedlings with the original cross.
I've crossed back and forth among them, but there's a risk in getting
sidetracked as so many interestingly different things also pop up in the
crosses.  Focus, focus, focus, I say.  Don't get distracted.

2)  I call this my "Cremona" project.  Back in the sixties I registered a
seedling I should have made compost a year before I did.  I've held on to the
name, however, and want to transfer it to a Champagne Waltz type with a vivid,
bushy red-red-red beard.  I have made some progress, oddly enough, by a cross
of one of the (Swingtown x Romantic Evening) seedlings on LOTUS LAND.  One of
the offspring is an amber-apricot sort, white fall flash, red beard, lovely
apricot-amber standards.  The hafts have a deeper Lycopene blush along the
line found in HEAVEN, although not so highly developed.  I've made crosses and
had crosses made for me with BARBARA MY LOVE, RETURN ADDRESS, and then have
seedlings from other crosses made for me in Oregon involving some
extraordinarily good combinations of parents.  The offer to do this during my
illness astonished me--and I jumped at the chance.  The crosses involved
better than I could ever have made on my own.

This project is going to take time, and I'm giving a wee bit less space to it
than number one.

3)--and this one is more an exercise in working with others than it is in
raising seedlings, although I am attempting the crosses myself too.

I am fascinated by SA pedigrees.  To my knowledge almost nothing has been done
beyond what Austin himself pointed toward in unravelling the genetics of SA's.

So I'm participating in a project with a variety of folks scattered all over
from France to Canada and the US to Australia in co-ordinating a series of
crosses hoping the data from the progeny will point the way toward a concrete
understanding of the what, why and how of SA phenomena.

The project will take a long time, involve a number of people and an enomous
amount of cogitation and concentration--if not downright intuition--to unravel
the meaning of the data collected.  But, of course, we're all going to live
forever, so we can start a thing like this.  Right?

I suspect the genetics of form and appendage production is a great deal
different from and possibly far more complex than mere color genetics, and
that is no simple matter either.  But oh!  what fun.....

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains