Re: RE:Hyb: Cytoplasmic inheritence was disease resistance

The peanut cross I refered to seems not to be due to mitochondrial genes or other known cytoplasmic effects.  This is known because the resulting seedling, over 3 generations of selfing. lose the maternal effects.  Mitochondrial genes would not be lost during selfing.

I don't have a solution to this.  Last I knew, the peanut breeders didn't either.  Maybe they do now.  I am only reporting this to point out that for all we know of genetics, there is still more that is unknown, even for those who are up to date in the field.

 The all-new My Yahoo!  Get yours free!