AIS: membership trends

Because Jeanne Plank is not subscribed to this list, I have been forwarding some of the messages to her. I have excerpted some of a recent reply from her:

Thanks, John:
It is a graph much as I had envisioned in my mind's eye through the numbers I was easily able to research. Recently I ordered a copy of the AIS 50th Anniversary Bulletin with the hope that some stats on membership might be included in that publication in the same manner they were included in the 75th Anniversary Bulletin. I am most interested in constructing a really big picture of AIS membership trends.
Perhaps the thing to do is to approach the AIS Librarian and/or AIS Historian to see if either can reference membership numbers over the more historic years -- maybe not from the formation of AIS, but from the WWII on to the mid 70's. It is sad to hear that people think that the AIS is a sinking ship because we -- like many other groups -- are experiencing a membership downturn. What I think the downturn means is that we need to turn our thoughts to approaching the current situation from a new viewpoint. Old methods -- while not to be abandoned unless they stifle new approaches -- simply are not the producers of the kind of membership recruitment and renewal we enjoyed in the pre-electronic past. I am, sadly, not a marketing authority, but good sense suggests that we (the AIS) must offer prospective members SOMETHING that does not come readily without expenditures of either (or both) money AND time. Knowing what that offering could/should be is the hard part that even a marketer would have trouble isolating.
Yes, a questionnaire would be good to send to those whose do not renew -- unfortunately that does not lead us to those who do not join at all. They are certainly part of our loss! And then there are those 'dropouts' who will not respond -- and, they are likely to be a high percentage.
Although I may sound discouraging, I'm, however, trying to be realistic. I think we should consider and pursue many different approaches. I think we need to recognize and acknowledge that much of our search to produce and sustain membership will be done in a very dimly lit arena, and that we will be feeling our way in semi-darkness -- no matter what professional help we use.
Do you know of a candle by which we can light the way and begin our search?
Cheers!
Jeanne

John | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)