Re: HYB: goals

Most of my goals are a long ways off, possibly not going to get to many
of them, enjoying the process.  TBs mostly.

Short-term goals -
Develop diverse breeding stock with (1) foliage that is as disease
resistant and happy here as IMMORTALITY, HARVEST OF MEMORIES and a few
others, (2) branching and bud count as good as the best I see here, (3)
good enough substance and width that blooms will last several days and
not melt in hot weather, but not so stiff that blooms have weather
sensitive development problems, (4) reliable bloom production and stalk
height regardless of weather,  (5) either rebloom or capacity to produce
rebloom in future generations, and (6) sweet fragrance (?not sure I can
accomplish this one in the short-term).

By "diverse breeding stock", I mean plants with genetic potential to
produce seedlings of just about any color combination.  I'm currently
mostly using Lloyd Zurbrigg's healthiest rebloomers as pod parents,
crossing with Schreiner once bloomers, several of which pass rebloom to
kids.  Also Blyth and Keppel pretties, if they will cooperate.  Plus
some historic cultivars & species (pallida).  Some of this n' that just
for fun.  Still in the early pollen daubing stage of wanting to cross
everything <g>.

Short term goal (1) has been easy, and I've reached (2) and (4) in some
lines, but not doing well on (3) yet.  Too soon for (5), tho I've been
surprised by some rebloom in lines where I wasn't expecting it.

Long-term goals -
Carrying the above traits forward, work towards repeat blooming whatever
that seem most possible from the lines that are most successful above.
So far, I have a few promising seedlings, but haven't bloomed any of
their children yet, so don't know whether or not they will contribute
much.  No good repeat bloomers yet.  I like the repeat bloomers, not for
summer bloom, but because they usually bloom much earlier in the fall
than the fall only rebloomers, so avoid the fall freezes.

Long, long term goals -
Repeat blooming everything : DUSKY CHALLENGER type, pink or white ground
umbratas (amoenas), neglectas, purple/red/black/orange/bronze/tan
bitones, blends....

Not much interested in zonals, plicatas, yellows or whites.  None of the
exotic new patterns or heavy ruffling/lace and appendages appeal so
far.  I like wide hafts (not touching), but not horizontal falls.  Sort
of 80s style with wider hafts, better substance, better stalks &
branching, and <much> better health.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8