Re: Re: Re: HYB Goals

My basic goal for hybridizing is pretty simple.  Hybridize iris in my zone
in hopes that they will do better for me and others, than those from
other areas.  SA and RE traits are big pluses for me, as are stalks that
stand up through the rough spring storms we always get here in SW MO.
Smaller flowers with flaring form and good substance hold up better
here than "big floppies."  Huge flowers hold alot of water weight when it
rains, and helps stalks fall over.  Some can handle it, some can't.
Besides the above, my crosses are usually really wide, patterns/colors/
sizes, etc.   I plan to have alot of fun this year with different species,
already planning out crosses.  I agree with Linda, hardy PC Iris would be
awesome.  Hmmm...I wonder if they would cross with LA's???
I've enjoyed this thread, thanks to whomever for starting it.
Will Warner
SW MO
Zone 6