CULT: Borer Resistance

In a message dated 1/31/05 12:24:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:

<<  I  would assume, however, that the smaller the rhizomes, the less
appealing to borers. >>

Notwithstanding the awsome power of insect instinct and all that interesting
stuff Schopenhauer said about the young stag beetle making its burrow large
enough to accomodate the horns it had not yet grown, I'd consider the fact that
at egg laying time the imago moth may not actually be seeking out the largest
rhizomes as such, since it does not, so far as I am aware, eat them, but is
definitely known to be looking for accumulated dead foliage, and, simpleminded
as it may sound, perhaps the larger rhizomes just mean better trash, and a
slightly more protected area at the base of the fans.The newly hatched eggs are
likely going to feed on what is at hand, although I do recall reading they they
have been seen moving from the tips of one leaf to another.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA