RE: iris HYB: Goals

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-iris-digest@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris-digest@hort.net] On
Behalf Of iris DIGEST
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 5:58 AM
To: iris-digest@hort.net
Subject: [iris] iris DIGEST V1 #250

This is a most interesting thread.

My first goal is to produce gorgeous pinks or pink blends that will grow
and bloom well in southern Arizona.  They have to be able to endure four
to five months of temperatures above 100 degrees F. without bloom-out,
pineappling or balding.

I will be interested in any seedling that shows these qualities
regardless of color. Though my first interest is in pinks, I find there
is also a shortage of good blues that will do this.  Interestingly, my
best seedlings so far are in various shades of blue and lavender.  I
have a Yaquina Blue look-a-like that blooms on 20" stalks, reblooms and
is very vigorous.  I hope to cross it with Yaquina Blue, which is not
related, to give it taller stalks while maintaining its vigor.  YB in my
garden is a very weak plant that only manages to bloom one stalk a year.
If I manage to make this cross, will one of them achieve this goal or
will I just get a bunch of weak plants and stubby stalks?