Re: Borer resistance

In a message dated 1/31/2005 10:55:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesilvers@yahoo.com writes:
Has anyone else noticed any bearded irises to have
less borer damage than the average bearded iris?

I have seen pure I. pallida growing borer-free when hybrids around it had
borers.  Partially shaded irises seem more susceptible than those growing in full
sun.  The varieties VANITY and its progeny BEVERLY SILLS and ANNA BELLE
BABSON seem to attract borers to the point of extinction.  Water-loving irises such
as I. pseudacorus, I versicolor and Louisiana irises seem to attract borers
when not grown in water.

Dorothy Willott in Northern Ohio