Re: HYB: Goals

Good thread! I'll come out of lurkdom to respond...

I am too new to the iris world to have any really specific goals, so
for now I'll say my goal is good garden irises - healthy, vigorous,
disease-resistant plants with strong stalks that put on a good show
consistently. Branching and bud count also need to be good, with
blooms that have good form - balance, closed standards, falls that
fall, blooms that have decent substance but can open on their own. I
don't ask for much, do I? ;o)

I'd also like to play around with maybe simplifying form - there
seems to be at least a litte interest out there in simple, tailored
form - clean lines, less (or no) ruffles and lace. And some of the
colors that some of the historics had has not been duplicated in
modern irises. Maybe bring some of those colors to modern irises, and
take some of today's colors to a simpler form. Just for kicks. :o)

Of course, for now I'll be happy if any of my seeds germinate this
spring, because the ones in pots right now represent my first try at
hybridizing!

Smiles,
Diana Williams
NE Ohio, zone 5b, AIS Region 6