Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:38:13 -0500
From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
Subject: [iris] RE:Hyb: Cytoplasmic inheritence was disease resistance

Chuck, are you sure about what you said about fertilization of the cytoplasm
being from one pollen cell, the nucleus from another?  That isn't the
understanding I had.

I think perhaps you are thinking of endosperm, rather than cytoplasm.  The
process of fertilization in plants is considerably more complex than in
animals, but the difference lies in the zygote/endosperm difference.  One
pollen grain contributes three gametes--one of which fertilizes the female
gamete which becomes the future embryo, the other two the endosperm, which is
triploid as a result, relative to the embryo.

As the seed matures, the endosperm constitutes almost all of the seed, while
the future plant is attached to it by a rather slender filamentous structure
through which nutrients flow to the future plant.

Am I in error?

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.