HIST: REB: SPEC: Blooming January 3 in Richmond VA

After unusually low temperatures in the first week of December, terrible
times, we in Richmond have enjoyed a warm and wet holiday season.  New Year's Day
brought steady rains to about three inches total,  and daytime temperatures
have generally been above 50F, even 60F, for some  days. We see this from time
to time at this season, although rarely for so  sustained a stretch as this;
accordingly, it is glorious, but rather  unsettling. I wish you could see the
Like many in this area, I take my exercise on Monument Avenue, a grand
residential boulevard lined by brick and stone mansions from the turn of  the
century and punctuated by monumental statues, preponderantly of heroes of  the
Civil War. A walk from my home and from one end of the historic portion  of the
promenade to the other is almost exactly three miles. There is a  good deal to
see, and to think about.
For some time now on my walk I have been watching a stalk that emerged from
a streetside planting of bearded iris rhizomes, a planting  overgrown and
surprisingly ungroomed, frankly, given the ultra posh  locale. The plant is on the
South side of the street where, in  addition to being peed on by untold
numbers of dogs, it has  been receiving a great deal of sunlight and reflected
warmth. Today, the bud began to open and, as I had  surmised, it is clearly Iris
pallida, or something pretty closely  related.
Blooming at a height of three feet, on a straight stem with two very  short
branches, no visible PBF, wholly scarious spathes, the plant has put  forth an
apparently undamaged lavender blossom with a beard conspicuously tipped
yellow. There is a mild fragrance of grapes. It is almost  certainly a diploid,
although, interestingly, the foliage short for  pallida. ...but who is to say
what is normal in these situations?
Today the flower was still opening. It will be interesting to see what  it
looks like when fully expanded.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA USDA Zone 7, Urban