Re: TB: diploids

Hello Robin,
From past postings and your specific mention of
diploids, I'm guessing (hoping) that you might be
interested in the breeding potential of these guys.
I've been trying out a few diploid historics recently
(for that reason) but am certainly not an authority. I
have 'Jacquesiana' which is a pretty, dark-reddish one
but not very vigorous for me so far. I have gotten
seeds from it, but not loads. 'Romeo' has an
interesting pattern -- it's probably already been done
in tetraploids, but it's still eyecatching.
'Odoratissima' has been relatively more cooperative in
forming seeds from tetraploid pollen than other
diploids that I've tried -- although I haven't
germinated any yet.
And don't forget about the older type, diploid MTB's.
There are lots of really nice ones of those. And I've
gotten TB sized offspring from first generation
crosses of these with non-MTB's  -- for instance
pollen from 'Rosemarys Dream' (a really nice MTB) used
on 'Kupari' (white glaciata pallida) gave all TB sized
sweetly fragrant plicatas.

But if you are interested in breeding with diploids...
and especially if you are interested in novel
traits... I'd highly recommend you try playing around
with some of the diploid bearded species. I've been
very happy with the variability I've been getting from
crosses with Iris suaveolens clones like mellita and
rubromarginata. They're tiny little dwarves; often
hard to locate sources of; and not the easiest to keep
alive. But the F1 from crosses of these two with other
kinds of irises are usually super vigorous and
Another diploid species type, that I might suggest for
breeding would be 'Kupari'. It's been a very
cooperative parent for me, and being a glaciata it
allows for a little more color expression from the
other parent to show.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to grow
and how it works for you.
Take care, Tom

Robin Shadlow <rshadlow@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't know as much as I should about some of the
historics, and I would like to add a few diploids to
my garden this year. If anyone has suggestions of
favorite varieties to try - I'd appreciate some ideas.
  Any with patterns that we haven't recaptured in
tetraploid form would be of great interest.
Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE