RE: Re: photos still not working

  • Subject: RE: Re: photos still not working
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <steve@familyszabo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:07:07 -0500

If mail is being rejected by yahoo!, and they have not grown so large as
to believe they can violate the RFCs governing e-mail, these users
should be getting a Non-Delivery Report (NDR) for the rejected e-mail.
The NDR will contain the reason why the mail was rejected. The reason
may not make sense to the common user, but it will make sense to the
Tech Support at your ISP. (I say that with a bit of a cringe here,
considering some of the tech support personnel I have run into lately.)
They should be able to tell you what the problem is, and if it is a
problem on your end, how to fix it. If it is a problem on the ISP's end,
they should be creating a ticket to get the issue resolved, or be able
to tell you what the status of the problem is.

None the less, before the call is ended, there should be a ticket number
attached to your call. Get this ticket number, and use it on future
calls if the problem is not resolved either by you on your end, guided
by the tech, or by the ISP on its end. If it is on the ISP side, and the
problem is not resolved in 24 hours, call back, using the ticket number
to get a progress report.

If the problem does not generate an NDR, call your ISP. He should be
able to track the message to its delivery point to Yahoo!. All this
really tells you is that it was received by Yahoo! And not much else.
This will absolve you and your ISP as being the problem point, and start
pointing the finger at Yahoo!. All too often, I post a message to one of
the lists at yahoo!, only to not see it posted for hours or days from
the initial sending. Looking at the headers of the e-mail, I can see
where it has gotten hung in the Yahoo! Server farm. It doesn't do me
much good, but I do know the mail delivery problem is on the Yahoo!
side.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are no Service Level Agreements
(SLAs) regarding e-mail, other than, perhaps, that the mail server will
be up and running with the ability to send and receive mail. Pretty much
what this means is that you send the mail and then cross your fingers
that it will actually get delivered. Most of the time it works just
fine. However, it does not work 100% of the time for many and various
reasons.

John, you do a bang up job here. Unfortunately, you, like the rest of
us, are at the mercy of the gods of the electron flow. Those of you who
are having a problem, the work around could be to use the web interface
of the list until the problem is resolved.

\\Steve//