Fw: RE: Germination!

Well it is a first for me (noting I had stated earlier that it has never happened for me in the seven years I have germinated Iris seeds).  I have had one cross start to germinate at 7 weeks after having been dried down and rehydrated in the fridge.

Although, I will mention that this particular cross had been kept in a dry state in the fridge an extra year for germinating in the future.  It was a cross between two half sibling 'Halston' seedlings.  'Halston' is a Spring rebloomer and the other parents had rebloom potential.

I do not know of any specific discussion on here (or in reference articles on Iris) of the holding of seed dry and the subsequent reduction in germination inhibitors.  But it makes sense to me that that might happen naturally.

Deno's book mentions that some species require dry storage and temps at 70 F to reduce their germination inhibitors, but at the same time there is a reduction in seed viability if extended for too long relative to the species involved.  Hence my reason for storing them at 40 F, dry and in the fridge.

I wasn't attempting to reduce their germination inhibitors, only to store them and keep them more viable.  I have other crosses from that year as well, but completely different crosses than this one that started... so we will see.

Something to think about.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7