Re: HYB: Germination!

Interesting, Paul. Sounds like an experiment worth trying here, if it would speed things up that much! Bagging and chilling freshly harvested pods seems to have worked just as well as shelling, drying, presoaking, and damp burrito'ing this year, but it still has taken at least 3 months of chilling to get <anything> to germinate. Nearly all crosses involved IMMORTALITY, HARVEST OF MEMORIES, TEA LEAVES, or late blooming unknown.

Any comparison data for similarly bred seeds handled the "usual" way (whatever that might be for you)?

The only thing I remember reading here that is somewhat similar is the recommendation that seeds that are not planted within a few months should be stored, dry, in a freezer.

I think Mike Sutton posted something about their getting better germination if they froze dried seeds <before> planting, but I never was sure I was understanding the whole story. I.e., not sure if they were frozen for convenience, or frozen because they got better germination that way.

Seems like Walter Moores and Donald Eaves may have said something to that effect also (maybe in offlist conversations, so not archived), but I'm not sure about that. Memory ain't so great any more.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8