Re: CULT:HYB: Mann's background babies

LOL - good name for an iris - BART SIMPSON.

Those are seedlings that germinated in 4 inch pots, transplanted into these bigger pots to grow on until time to put them in the garden.

When I transplant, I trim off the tops to reduce stress to the babies whose roots are usually at least a little damaged. Cuts down on the amount of foliage those roots need to support while they recover from 'surgery'. Most were ~ 3 to 5 inches tall before transplanting, I trim off about a third.

Trimming has the added benefit of letting me know when they start growing again & how fast (i.e., which crosses are showing the greatest strength) - inner leaves grow faster than outer ones (or maybe the outer ones aren't growing at all), so new growth shows up as uneven heights of trimmed leaves.

I start all the seeds I'm trying to 'speed up' in 4 inch pots to make less work while I'm manipulating temperatures for ungerminated seeds (i.e., lugging them in and out of the house, in and out of the wine chiller).

Once they have germinated and most of the babies seem big enough to tolerate transplanting, I move them to the 8 inch mum pots, & once they get over <that> shock and are growing well, will move them out to Reemay'd 'tents' (or other type of temporary cold frame).

<In the recent pic of ICI x 'pretty baby' there are some babies in pots in the background. Why do those babies look like they got to Bart Simpson's barber? They look like their leaves have been cropped.

  Christian
  ky>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8