Fw: Translingual registrations

Hello everyone !

(I will send this to iris-talk as well, so the debate can go on there, instead
of on iris-photo.)

I'm sorry if i have sounded a bit obsessionnal to some of you, but i wanted to
push the logic to the limit, hoping to show this way that there might be a
problem somewhere!

To the astonishment of many, we finally came up with an amazing conclusion :
MEANING has nothing to do with the criteria used for naming an iris !...

But getting rid of the MEANING is not enough to avoid difficulties, and i now
would like to know what are the criteria to decide what is too close, or not
too close, in terms of LOOK and SOUND.

Mike Lowe has decided that Eleanor d'Aquitaine and Eleanor of Aquitaine were
different enough to be both registered.
A whole page of justifications was needed to do so... ( This is not an easy
job, Mike, really! )

Now, it would be interesting to have examples of names he has refused for
being too close in terms of LOOK and SOUND, so we could understand where the
line is drawn.

Therefore, among all the people abroad who don't speak English ( they are
around 6 billon there...), the ones who want to register an iris will know the
proper procedure for doing so without wasting everybody's time with unproper
names.

Loic