Re: Re: CULT: Planting siberians

Thank you, Anner. There is actually very little space left in my winter frame, but if space permits, I'll try your method along with that of the originator of the seed (whose instructions I just found!). -- Griff

zone 7 in Virginia

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:20 PM
Subject: [iris] Re: CULT: Planting siberians

In a message dated 1/11/2007 6:51:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,  jgcrump
@cox.net writes:

A friend has given me some siberian iris seeds which she has had for a couple of years. I've never raised siberians from seed. I'd appreciate any advice
that any of you with experience wants to give  me.

Soak three four or five days, changing the water daily. Surface sow on your chosen medium. Do not cover the seed. Cover the pot with clear kitchen wrap held on with a rubberband. Keep warm and in bright light but not direct sun. Remove any seeds which mold. When germination starts, remove plastic wrap. If you don't see some action within six weeks, move the pots outside, protect
against rodents, and expect to see them about the third week  of April.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA