Re: REF: Translingual registrations

Why not? These two names don't look alike, and they don't  sound alike.

I'm not blind, nor deaf, thank you, but i also have a brain to think...
These two names refer to the same person, Alienor d'Aquitaine for the French, or Eleanor of Aquitaine for the English.

Since the name of this Queen had been given to Laurence's Ransom's reblooming iris in 1991, i was surprised to see the English version of the name used for another introduction.

I'd like to know where would be the limit in the use of the name of a Historic Character.
If a second version is accepted, why not more?

We could imagine endless variations of the name, such as Ileanor von Aquitaine for the Germans, or Eleanora di Aquitania for the Italians, etc...

We could have the same issue with Jeanne d'Arc and Joan of Arch !

To push a bit more the logic, if you don't mind my dear Anner, what about interverting the roles and take a famous American figure, instead of a French one!

Let's imagine someone would dare using a French version of the name of a First Lady of yours, Eleanor Roosevelt :

...let's imagine a new iris called "Alienor" Roosevelt !

They don't spell the same, they don't sound the same, they are not even alphabetically close.
Eleanor Roosevelt is an IB, let's imagine Alienor Roosevelt would be a TB.
Then it would fits all the criterias used for allowing the English version of Alienor d'Aquitaine to be given to another iris.

I don't question Mike Move's decision at all there.
His criteria are perfectely legitimate, and his argumentation is perfect.
The only problem is that it's totally mechanical and, and in the case of Historical figures, i really wonder where is the limit in disambiguation .

I think it would be legitimate, in the case of Historical figures, that when the name has been used once, it should be banned from other use, no matter the language. It could be THE exception that confirms the rule that Meaning has nothing to do with the criteria used to accept or dismiss a name for a new registration.