Re: HYB: Frozen seeds

Hard to predict - two main factors that will determine how well they do - genetics and duration of cold. Don't despair.

The good news is they will not get as cold planted <in> the ground as they would if they were in pots sitting on top of the ground.

Archived messsage obscured how deep they are planted, if they have an inch of soil on top of them and the sun has been warming the soil during the day, they may not be much below freezing for very long, so may be fine, except for the ones particularly sensitive to cold.

Several outdoor pots have seedlings popping out of the ground here. Forecast is only for one night in the mid- to low 20s here later this week, & most of my crosses are among cultivars that tolerate erratic freezes well (or else they'd be dead <g>). In the past, I've had <some> seedlings show above the soil within days after a hard freeze (mid to upper 20s F), so know some can take being lightly frozen, even while actively germinating. And have heard the same from others.

I sorted thru them yesterday, plan to bring in the ones I'm most interested in and of unknown ability to cope with being frozen solid while germinating. Will leave the rest out.

If your seedlings that come up can also tolerate heavy summer rains, you'll have some kids that would probably live here <g> Not sure if that's the good news you are looking for <g>

<My seeds are planted = inched deep in garden soil. .... It gotdown to 22 degrees F. last night. The seeds had been stored wet at 40 degrees in the refrigerator. About ten percent of them had started to grow their tiny roots. Im asking those
of  you with experience in planting seeds unprotected in freezing
conditions, what chances do they have?

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8