To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] REF: Translingual registrations

In a message dated 1/15/2007 2:46:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

<<These two names refer to the same person, Alienor d'Aquitaine  for the
French, or Eleanor of Aquitaine for the English.

Yes, that fact had not escaped me. She was a queen of both France  and
England, which does add piquancy. Of course, England and France were not then what England and France are now, nor the languages, but, nevertheless, there it is. The really interesting one was Henrietta Maria of France, wife of Charles I of England. When it became necessary to take up arms, she shouldered hers,
and led an army. She  called herself, "Her She-Majesty, Generalissima,"
speaking  of wonderful names. Cracks me up.

<<The only problem is that it's totally mechanical and, and in the case of Historical figures, i really wonder where is the limit in disambiguation .

The process is not totally mechanical.

As the last step, a human being of benign temperament, adequate
intelligence, and no personal agendas, decides whether the name under consideration is likely to cause significant confusion in any one of several ways, or whether it is not. In some small number of cases this decision is one with which other
persons of good will, adequate  intelligence, and no personal agendas, may
disagree. So be  it.

Of course, with each registration which enters  the arena the terrain
changes, and the question of what disambiguation requires, becomes more complex.

The only way to eliminate the registrar's sole subjective call, other than to form a committee to come up with some joint subjective call, which idea I dismiss as no improvement on the current system, is to promulgate ever more rules, to the point where the process becomes as truly mechanical as possible, at which point another set of problems will no doubt be seen peeking eagerly
over the  horizon.

Do you want more rules?

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead