Re: REF: Translingual registrations

In a message dated 1/15/2007 9:45:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

<<I think it would make perfect sense to give the meaning in  Engligh of any
foreign name, on the registration  file.

This depends on what you intend by 'meaning'. Do you intend a  crude
uninflected translation, in which case I believe one of the online  translators will
do the trick, albeit oftimes with hilarious results, or do  you intend
'significance', with nuances?
For example, the Sass brothers, miraculous to tell, named an  iris 'Beau

Unless there is a date typo in the 39CL, which is possible, and I don't  have
time to root around in the files right now because I am waiting for a bunch
of hearties to deliver a new washing machine to the house, this Iris  predates
Wren's novel of the same name.
In any case, how would one give the 'meaning' in English  of that  venerable
philosophical and aesthetic construct, without two pages of text, and  a

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA