Re: REF: Translingual registrations

In a message dated 1/15/2007 3:21:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

Of  course, there would always be names with such delicacy, subtillity and
sophistication, that a translation or even a transcription would be "un
crime de lese majeste"...

Codswallop.

My point is that you are going to run into some problems trying  to provide a
short simple clear 'meaning' of a complex abstraction.  This has nothing to
do with sophistication, it has to do with the nature of  language. "Beau Ideal"
is a perfectly good Iris name, in fact it is an excellent  one.

As for the idea that people may screw up Iris names when they say them  out
loud and thereby cause confusion, I suggest that there is no name,  proper or
othewise, that cannot be made confusing or  ridiculous by mispronunciation, and
it is impossible to eliminate the risk  of this happening.

This conversation is rapidly approaching sophistry, so  I'll leave you
fellows to it.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA