(for which, by the way, I don't have a problem, and I speak several languages)

I deal with a lot of irises from many gardens and know very well that people often mispronounce, mis-hear and misspell iris names and no amount of restrictions on naming conventions would fix that problem.

John

On Jan 15, 2007, at 12:18 PM, loic tasquier wrote:

Wouldn't you appreciate to understand the signification (since the the word "meaning" seams to hurt your ears ) of these phonetic transcriptions of Russian names such as : NE TRON MEDIA, PRIGLASITELNY BILET or RADOST BYTIYA that were registered in 2005?

I personnaly would, and i also imagine it would make the work of the registrar slightly easier!

Of course, there would always be names with such delicacy, subtillity and sophistication, that a translation or even a transcription would be "un crime de lese majeste"... Nevertheless, in most cases, it would be an improvement from the present situation, where the percentage of ununderstandable new names is increasing every year.

Loic

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] REF: Translingual registrations

In a message dated 1/15/2007 9:45:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

<<I think it would make perfect sense to give the meaning in Engligh of any
foreign name, on the registration  file.

This depends on what you intend by 'meaning'. Do you intend a  crude
uninflected translation, in which case I believe one of the online translators will
do the trick, albeit oftimes with hilarious results, or do  you intend
'significance', with nuances?

For example, the Sass brothers, miraculous to tell, named an iris 'Beau
Ideal.'

Unless there is a date typo in the 39CL, which is possible, and I don't have time to root around in the files right now because I am waiting for a bunch of hearties to deliver a new washing machine to the house, this Iris predates
Wren's novel of the same name.

In any case, how would one give the 'meaning' in English of that venerable philosophical and aesthetic construct, without two pages of text, and a
bibliography.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA