Re: HIST: SPEC: January Bloom: Iris pallida in Richmond VA

In a message dated 1/13/2007 8:38:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
koekkoek@mtcnet.net writes:

The  temp. was 0 this morning, and when you write, Anner, of iris blooming,
it
makes me think you are a world away instead of half the country!   Amazing how
these neglected (or mostly neglected) iris continue to grow and  bloom and
show
such vitality.  Blooming in mid-winter!   Wow!

Yes, it really is an amazing species. I do wish I knew whether it did this
sort of thing often or elsewhere. Since it is one of the genetic  foundations
of modern irises, the fact that it can bloom during the...  short days is it?
.. one certainly could not call them the cold days  this year... seems
interesting.

The stalwart yellow rebloomer I mentioned earlier never recovered enough
from the cold snap in early December to put up any  more stalks. Two days  ago it
was a right sorry mess.

I'm worried about the warm weather. Things are breaking dormancy two months
early, but with so many people suffering so terribly with cold and ice, I'm
certainly not going to whine about the garden.

Thanks for your interest, Arnold.

As ever,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA