To: <iris@hort.net>
Cc: <janclarx@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:13 PM
Subject: [iris] RE: Translingual Registrations

Firstly an apology for the digest I sent a couple of days ago. I really do not know how I did that. I took the time and trouble to write a letter, re read it for spelling mistakes or offensive content, etc. I then sent what I had written and it vanished into thin air, and my long digest posting was the result. If it happens again I will give up!

Loic wrote: These two names refer to the same person, Alienor d'Aquitaine for the
French, or Eleanor of Aquitaine for the English.
plus sundry other stuff about translating for the so called "English" speaking populations.

The example I gave of 2 irises that are similarly named, and sound almost identical are: WIZARD OF OZ, and WIZARD OF AUSSIE. Can you tell the difference? Yes of course you can, because the second one has a soft 'S' sound and the first has a hard 'Z' sound. Right? Wrong!! When Heather Pryor named her Wizard of Aussie, she was aware of the similarity, but knew that it would not sound the same to an American as it does to an Australian. Use the hard 'Z' sound in Aussie, as we do here, and you will see that there is very little difference between the names.

As far as translating - if an iris is mis-spelled in the original language, should we then mis-spell it in the translation? Mallowdramatic would translate as what in German? The pun would be completely lost!

Ok - so there was more in my posting, but I didn't save it so I can't remember the content now.... something about what a cool word is "Subtillity" and how I might be tempted to use that one to name an iris. Was that subtile enough?

Cheers, Jan

Advertisement: Fresh jobs daily. Stop waiting for the newspaper. Search Now! www.seek.com.au http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT