Re: RE: Translingual Registrations

Dear Loic et. al;

I would love to see explanations and translations of
names in checklists. It seems especially important now
that we have transliterations of Cyrillic alphabet
names. As I mentioned previously I sought out some of
these out in the section checklists on which I am
working. As many know my ultimate goal has been to
create illustrated checklists. This sounds far easier
than one would expect.

The registrar has a difficult task in keeping up with
the registrations he receives let alone adding more
information for him to process. As I suggested in the
AIS bulletin over a year ago auxillary information
such as photos and translations could be collected by
section representatives breaking up the task by class
of iris. Since most people havent heard much on this
subject from me they probably thought it was just hot
air on my part. But slowly I have continued to make

An issue that now confronts me is as new registrations
and new information is added to the references that
are evolving, they are becoming quite large. The SIGNA
checklist is now over 400 pages without photos. The
Median Checklist will be out this Spring and promises
to be almost as large. The SIGNA checklist now costs
$40. Similar problems are occurring for the registrar.
As the number of registrations increase the cost and
size of the yearly R & Is increase.

Of course everyone is quick it point to the internet
as an answer. But although I feel it is good I am more
interested in creating hard copy references since they
have a better record of enduring and saving our