Re: RE: Translingual Registrations

Hi Bob et. al,

The main problem of translingual registrations is transliteration. The names
given in another alphabets should be transliterated but really didn't. The
records in checklist are not transliterations nor transcriptions but not
more than a fantasy of Mr. Loktev who do it.

The problem of correct cyrillic-to-latin transliteration is difficult enough
and has no universal decision. In correct transliteration each cyrillic
character should have one and only one latin character (or bi-character) and
this correlation should be strongly reversible. Such correlations was
proposed not once, but transliterated such manner text looks strange and
unconfortable so no one such transliteration has no large use. Anyway at
least in The lilac checklist such transliteration is used.

Ordinary interpretations of cyrillic names are different in different
languages. For example a American will write my name as Yuri but a German as
Juri. But my name is of 4 characters and strongly trasliterated should looks
as something like Jurij.

Looking at the names shown by Loic: NE TRON MENIA, PRIGLASITELNY BILET,
RADOST BYTIYA , PRITIAZHENIYE we can see that russian character bQb is
written as bIAb in one case and as bYAb in another, russian bEb is written
as bEb and bYEb, russian character bP,b is not indicated at all. On the other
hand latin bYb is used for four different russian characters and
bi-characters: bQb, bQP9b, bQb and beb.

So at this time there is no rules of transliteration for checklist in AIS,
there is only practice of one or another registrar.

There is another question out of  namebs disparity in cyrillic and latin
alphabets: what name is legal? Given in cyrillic or registered in latin?

So if there is a name of Iris fulva bBolshevikb in the Registry, given by
american hybridiser, will be registered that name given in Russian in
cyrillic taking in account that it could be translitered as Bolshevik, Bolb
shevik or BolbE evik? I think no one could misspell the names given in
different alphabets, but transliterated  they could be misspelled.

Juri (Yuri) in Moscow