Re: PHOTOS: question - IPTC headers?

IPTC stands for International Press Telecommunications Council.

Without going into a long history of how standards evolved, there is now a standard for including in a file information about the file such as copyright, camera, edit history, resolution, color space and on and on, including customized information. The use and exchange of this information is facilitated by the XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) that was derived using XML (Extensible Markup language) (which by the way was an evolution from HTML ( HyperText Markup Language (HTML, the predominant markup language for the creation of web pages)

Many programs in use today for creating or modifying graphic images (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and the like) support adding and modifying the metadata in the various files.