Re: PHOTOS: question - IPTC headers?

Linda; you ask an important question. For the Spuria
Checklist I used a format that named each file with
the cultivar name and the photographers name. Given
these two pieces of data as the stored filename, I
could find any of the other bits of information needed
for publication. I am not familiar with the imbedded
information that John speaks to(PTC formats). I am in
the process of building the data base to do a Dwarf
(MDB) illustrated checklist and one each of the 4
median groups starting with a MTB checklist.

Deciding on format is a very important topic. As the
AIS library receives slides from bequests of deceased
members there must be established criteria for how to
scan and store images digitally. Professional
publications usually require 600 dpi as a minimum for
publication. The AIS bulletin only uses 300 dpi. It is
generally agreed that larger files would be preferable
to archive. How they are named and stored is certainly
an area of interest.

It maybe that someday the AIS may wish to publish
encyclopedic illustrated checklists and the
foundations for those possibilities need to be laid
now. On the other hand we may someday wish to have a
complete illustrated checklist online. This would
require much smaller files. But files can always be
reduced but not increased. Now is the time that these
resources are beginning to be gathered. The form in
which they are stored could limit there future use. I
have tried to archive material in a rather dense
format such that it could be used by print media and
by web media (reduced). To date I gather permission
for copyright for specific projects and have not
pursued a general use agreement believing that the
current photographers should have control and not
forfeit any of their rights to use pictures in their
own projects.