HYB: ?heredity of orange question(s)

  • Subject: HYB: ?heredity of orange question(s)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:43:51 -0500

Orange is full recessive, true? (no dosage effects that result in patterns other than self - i.e., orange or not orange?)

Not sure any of you have time/patience to wade thru the following to 'grade' my logic and results, but sure would appreciate any help available..

15GAK (posted to photos) X AUTUMN RIESLING seedlings are germinating well.

Athough 15GAK looks sort of pale apricot in the photo, I think it's more likely yellow with a very pale anthocyanin tint on the standards (i.e., yellow orangish tan). (I forgot to do a hot water extraction to be sure). It is I26: white: (white x pink ground variegata or I(s)) X GACG-5: pale apricot-orange (what's the difference between apricot and orange?);

AUTUMN RIESLING is (Schreiner, R. 2006) Sdlg. KK 1242-A. TB, 40" (102 cm), ML S. orange apricot (RHS 24C); F. orange apricot (21C), yellow at center; beards tangerine. Orange Blossom Special X Status Seeker. Schreiner 2006

so this cross should give me probabilities of 1 in 36 having full compliment of genes for orange apricot, tho the color may be hidden (i.e., recessive white, dominant I(s))?

Unless by some chance of luck, 15GAK turns out to be 3/4 "orange"-pink-yellow, in which case the odds will be 1/6?

Some of those, judging from the pale anthocyanin wash on the falls, might be apricot ground pastel variegata? Also probability of 1 in 6, because, in this case, it's a dominant gene? Or 1 in 2 if it carries more than one I(s)?

And the presence of blue on the falls of 15GAK tells me that either the pollen or pod parent was full recessive white for anthocyanin?

plus one of them was at least one I(s)?

No wonder most folks make like X like crosses - this gets complicated fast!
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8