Re: Re: HYB: ?heredity of orange question(s)

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: ?heredity of orange question(s)
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 22:21:03 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

There are plenty oranges that are not selfs.  'Ambrosia Delight' - an orange amoena.  'Orange Plume' - an orange plicata. 'Crackling Caldera' - an orange that lightens to a pumpkin yellow shade in the center of the falls.  Some oranges also have pink infusions in the standard's midrib area and various proportional combinations of orange carotenoid, yellow carotenoid and lycopene producing the varying shades between true flamingo pink and bright orange and golden orange.  There are some orange "selfs" that have very intense lycopene beards.  Then there is simply the concetration of orange carotenoid itself that has been intesified over the years. Examples: 'Almondine' (an historic TB) and 'Good Show' or 'Amplified' (modern TB's)

Paul Archer
Indianapolis