HYB: Orange--wait...

  • Subject: HYB: Orange--wait...
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:01:22 -0800 (PST)

Chuck, et al,

No fair, you started out on oranges, which I'm just not that
interested in, so I've only been scanning the posts.  But now, you've said
something that might actually relate to my own projects.... bugger
stink.   This is the line that caught my attention.  " Regular yellow and tttt
are alleles and yellow is dominant over tttt. No effect of alternative yellow
on inheritance of tttt and vice versa."

So, that line seems to say that I
need two boxes in the mental filing system for yellow pigments.  One box is
for the "regular" yellow pigment and "regular" yellow pigment is genetically
"linked" to tttt.  Okay... as I'm writing this I'm seeing that part of what
has piqued my interest is a mental filing error.... tttt is not the same thing
as iiii.....I'm percolating now to see if that part matters in my personal

I read one of Chucks technical posts to try to catch up.  If
I'm reading correctly... you mention a yellow iris with tangerine beards, and
I think you're saying that this tangerine is genetically yellow, but that the
pigment lycopene is blocked from transforming to carotene.  So your saying
these beards are genetically yellow, but look orange?  And these are the
"alternate yellow"?

I'm thinking on the run now...chasing whatever it was
that I thought might be relevant to my green breeding program...so if I'm
fuzzy it's 'cause I'm really fuzzy....

So you're saying to get orange, you
need the genetics of the beard that looks orange, but is really genetically
yellow-which you are calling alternate yellow- in combination with the
genetics of tttt.  Again, I've not been paying a whole lot of attention to
orange genetics in this discussion or any other.  I have a mental file box
that contains the formula tttt = orange which has been good enough up to
now... and may be still...

Let me chase the alternate yellow for a moment.  I
read  Regular yellow and iiii are alleles and yellow is dominant over iiii. No
effect of alternative yellow on inheritance of iiii and vice versa. I know,
that's not what you said, it's what I read and that's where my mind triggered.
Okay, so I know that iiii is inherited seperately from tttt and from
alternative yellow... I know that... but it doesn't necesarilly break the
tungsten in the proverbial light bulb.  Yellow pigments are relevent to me...
yellow and blue make green...  You're saying that alternate yellow is
genetically yellow, but expresses as orange?  There's something in the pigment
formation that is incomplete so that a beard that should be yellow comes up
Now,  you went on to say that this genetically yellow pigment does
not express effectively on the petal surface as an orange, because there's not
enough pigment per micron of cell volume?  So if there was enough pigment per
cell volume, then it would be expressed as orange on the petal, not yellow--
but it would still be genetically yellow?   and the transformation of that
pigment to a yellow would still be blocked...?
I've highlighted my question
marks, in case Yahoo is putting extra question marks on my posts like it is
doing to Betty's (again).
Okay, I think I see where I triggered.  My
thinking was "alternate yellow" expresses over less than 30% of the petal
surface/ cell volume which would be like only 30% of the pixels on a RGB old
fashioned television monitor lighting up with yellow.   I'm thinking yellow
pigment lives in the top cell layer of a petal.  My  hypothesis is that there
is X expression of self yellow that will filter the expression of self blue so
that the resulting iris appears green.  So, when you said alternate yellow
pigment with a 30% expression I triggered because I thought of a yellow
filter, or a few yellow pixels to mix with my blue pixels...
So, Chuck,...
if "alternate yellow" is an orange expression of something that is genetically
yellow, then is "alternate yellow" ever expressed as yellow?  Did you already
answer that?