Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Bearded iris myths
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 22:15:40 -0500

 My favorite myth is that the backs of the rhizomes need to be exposed, or the
iris won't flower.

I tested? this out for myself.? 10 plants in each of five groups.
1) half of rhizome above soil
2) back barely exposed
3) 1/2'' of sol over top of rhizome
4) 1" of soil
5 2" of soil

No? differerence in bloom. They all bloomed well.? The groups that did best in
my conditions(but just barely better)? was the 1/2" of soil.? Les increase in
2" plants and half exposed groups, so less bloom, but basically same
percemtage of? blooming rhizomes.? Slightly shorter? flower? stalk? in 2"
group, but only slightly shorter.

Chuck Chapman